Sunday, June 28, 2009

The End, and the Beginning (India Journal, June 28)

This will likely be my last post from here in India as we are going to be out and/or packing most of tomorrow and then we are leaving here for the airport around 4 am on Tuesday. We took the night train from Dehradun Friday night and arrived back in Delhi around 5:30 Saturday morning. I've had a rough last few days as I got very ill on the evening preceding the last day of camp in Dehradun. Unfortunately I was completely miserable that whole day, but improved greatly over Saturday and have now mostly recovered. I can't really complain though; I've been here 3 times and never come close to being really sick like this. In fact, the last time I got sick at all was before coming to India for the first time in 2005, and my theory is the bacteria I was exposed to here built my immunity up and prevented me from getting sick in the States, so I guess in a sense India has the right to make me sick!


The whole experience in Dehradun was a very challenging one, and yet, I can look back on it immediately and say it was one of the most meaningful that I've experienced so far here. Personally it was very difficult for me dealing with the heat, lack of sleep (due to the heat), and food that doesn't agree with me. However, it was such an enriching experiencing working with the kids despite a fairly large language barrier, and on Thursday we visited a slum where many of the kids lived (I'll be going into much greater detail about this experience in a later post), which was both wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time.

I've seen God's hand moving so clearly over these past few weeks. During our first week of English Bible Camp in Delhi we saw 101 children accept Christ as their Savior. Twenty-nine made commitments during our camp in Dehradun. Simultaneous to our week in Dehradun, a Hindi Bible camp was taking place back here in Delhi. They anticipated 50 children due to the fact that they were not providing transportation. One hundred and fifty attended. This is what it's all about.

We spent the afternoon with our friends here from the base. We went souvenir shopping and then out for dinner at a Chinese restaurant. It was wonderful just relaxing and laughing about all the experiences we've had here, both past and present. It will be difficult to say goodbye tomorrow, as it always is. But I have no regrets. This trip has been everything I hoped and so much more. And while I don't really know what God has in store for me, I have a feeling that I'll be back. To God be the Glory!!!

David

डेविड

No comments:

Post a Comment